Tuesday, August 30, 2005

We Evacuated...

Just a quick post to let those of you who may be concerned know that my family and I evacuated from our home in Southeast Louisiana. We're safe and sound in Lafayette, La., awaiting word on when we can return home to assess the situation.

Our home is in St. Tammany Parish which saw significant wind damage, but fortunately not a lot of flooding. Our neighbors across Lake Pontchartrain in Metairie, Kenner, New Orleans aren't so lucky. We're watching the news coverage and those areas look like Venice, Italy - streets completely underwater.

Keep us in your prayers. More to follow...

13 comments:

Jules said...

I am SO glad to hear that you are well. I am still waiting to hear from ~D. I know that phone lines, including cell phones are out too. I was SO nervous for both of you- to the point of tears.
I hope and pray that all is well when you return home. But most importantly I am happy that you and your family are safe.

Elle*Bee said...

Thank you, Jules. I haven't heard from ~D either. Whatever she and I have to return to in St. Tammany, it'll be nothing compared to what's happening in New Orleans, Jefferson and St. Bernard. Thanks for your continued prayers. I'll update when I can.

Erika said...

Oh good, you are okay. So D decided to leave afterall? I talked to her at the beginning of all this and she said she was staying.

Trafficforless said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Trafficforless said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linda Johnson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tweedledeetweedledum said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elle*Bee said...

Hi Erika. I don't know for sure whether ~D evacuated, but I know her and her husband, and I think they probably would've left when we realized what a big deal this was going to be. As late as Friday p.m. the local news channels were downplaying it - they expected Katrina to hit closer to AL. We woke to a big surprise Sat. a.m. with the news that the storm didn't shift eastward afterall. If you hear from her before I do, will you post a comment to me?

Erika said...

I hope they left. I think I talked to her Sunday and she said at that time they were staying. I left for florida monday for work and have been able to reach my mom, she went to houston and i finally heard from my dad late last night, he eventually made it to orlando. I am relieved to know that most of my family got out.

Jules said...

I talked to ~D before I went to bed Sunday night and they were staying. In fact her in-laws were there with them. I have been praying long and hard that they are ok. I just wish I knew..

Jules said...

I tried calling ~D's cell phone tonight and I got her voicemail!!
I was surprised that the line was open. So hopefully she and family evacuated and are ok. I will keep you posted if I hear more!

be safe!

Elle*Bee said...

There's a lot of flooding in her town near the Tchefunte River, but she's further in...fallen trees might be more of an issue. I'm holding out hope that common sense prevailed (either hers or P's) and that they got out. My cell service is intermittent at best. If I hear anything, I'll pass it on.

Elle*Bee said...

Erika - it looks like ~D stayed, but Jules commented on my 9/1 post that she, her family and home are fine. No electricity, so they'll probably head to FL.