Thursday, August 04, 2005

Another late night...

I've struggled with insomnia off and on throughout most of my life. As a baby, my mother said, I was a 'night owl.' My oldest son is the same way... Neither of us falls asleep easily. My husband and my middle son are the exact opposite. As soon as their heads hit the pillow, they're *out*.

Thursday nights are especially difficult because my dear hubby (DH for short) volunteers for an hour each week at our church's perpetual adoration chapel. He sets the alarm for 2:21 a.m. and spends the hour from 3:00-4:00 a.m. at the chapel. He's the sort who can fall asleep as soon as he's in a horizontal position. I on the other hand take 45+ minutes to doze. On Thursdays, he turns in around 9:30 p.m. I'm not ready to go to bed that early so I stay up to the point where I wonder 'why bother?'. For example, right now it's 11:30 p.m. here. If I turn in now, I might - if I'm lucky - fall asleep by 12:15 a.m. The alarm will go off 2 hours later - why bother? The alarms goes off at 2:21 and I wake too. If I'm lucky, I'll doze off again around 3:10 a.m. DH will be home an hour later. So why bother? He gets home around 4:10 or so and will either exercise or go back to bed (because he can fall asleep within 5 minutes). I, on the other hand, will be awake until around 5:00 a.m. His alarm for work is set for 5:30...so why bother?

It wouldn't be so bad if I'd just give up altogether on the idea of sleeping on Thursday nights.

On the plus side, Drew (my oldest) and I stayed and worked on his crossword puzzle book - good for boosting vocabulary and brain power. We also watch the DVD of a favorite movie of mine, "Waking Ned Devine." Not appropriate for children but so much of it was over Drew's head - plus he wasn't paying close attention. I don't know why the movie touched me - perhaps it's the breathtaking Irish countryside, or the naked old man riding the motorcycle. (Sends me in fits of giggles every time!)

2 comments:

Erika said...

Ah...insomnia is an old friend of mine too. In fact, I feel hungover today from lack of sleep.

Elle*Bee said...

I do too, Erika. I'm craving a Starbucks or a nap. Can't decide which I'd rather... Let's hope we both have sweet dreams tonight.