Monday, January 26, 2009

Just a Little Update...

It's been a while since I've posted, so I thought I'd give a little update. I've been spending the past week reading the second encyclical assigned by Dear Hubby's Social Justice instructor (this one is a shorter one written by Pope Pius __).

I also finally mastered the beaded ball that I mentioned a couple of months ago on my other blog. I've also been teaching myself to make bird nest pendants out of sterling silver wire (photo to come).

Because starting a diet on January 1st is such a cliche, I decided to join Weight Watchers (again) this past Friday. I joined in March 2007, hit an 8 month plateau and more of less gave up. So here I go again.

Today I attended Son #1 IEP meeting (Individualized Education Plan) today. At this point, it's more or less a formality. He'll continue with speech therapy twice a week next year, as he has since pre-K. Two of his instructors mentioned that Son #1 seems to engage in 'higher order' thinking than the average person. I think that's edu-speak for 'too smart for his own good.' Truthfully, though, he does operate on a different level.

Son #2 came home today and informed me that a certain little girl we know (very sweet) asked him to "go out." At this age (eleven), 'going out' is generally limited to hanging out at school and saying you have a girlfriend or boyfriend. Trying to keep my cool, I casually asked him how he responded and he said that he told her he'd think about it, because he wanted to 'bounce it off' of me. Awww..... We took the opportunity to discuss what it means to be honest, treat people with respect, not blabbing details to friends, etc. After he left the room, I curled up in the fetal position and chanted 'not my baby, not my baby..." Just kidding. Mama's playing it cool.

More later.

3 comments:

Nadine said...

Sounds like your class is keeping you busy with lots of reading. I hope you and hubby are enjoying it.

Son #1 is very bright.

Son #2 too cute for words to check with you first.

Lala's world said...

my daughter who is being tested for ADD is really bright too, and even my youngest who has speach issues has a way above age vocabulary, and yet she doesn't know the alphabet! go figure!

Elle*Bee said...

Thanks, nadine, we are enjoying the classes very much, and getting to know the other 21 couples on the same faith journey.

Lala, my child with ADHD is also speech impaired. He struggled with reading in the first grade (he was at least one grade 'below' level), but something clicked. He's a voracious reader now - last time he was tested (6th grade), he was reading at a high 11th grade level.

It's fun watching their gifts emerge. The important thing to remember about ADD and ADHD is that many of the traits that considered 'minuses' in the school environment are considered strengths in the 'real world'. Multi-tasking is just one example.