Friday, August 04, 2006

Well, It's About Time!

Seventy-six hours later, we finally have Dear Hubby's test results (see yesterday's post). All is well. whew.

Basically, Dear Hubby has a heart condition. Well, technically his heart is in great shape. It's the arteries that aren't.

This from www.webmd.com:

"Cardiac enzyme studies measure the levels of the enzymes troponin (TnI, TnT) and creatine phosphokinase (CPK, CK) in the blood. Low levels of these enzymes are normally found in your blood, but if your heart muscle is injured, such as from a heart attack, the enzymes leak out of damaged heart muscle cells and their levels in the bloodstream rise.

Because some of these enzymes are also found in other body tissues, their levels in the blood may rise when those other tissues are damaged. Cardiac enzyme studies must always be compared with your symptoms, your physical examination findings, and electrocardiogram (EKG, ECG) results."


There are factors that can affect the test, including strenuous exercise (which he hadn't done in a couple of days) and cholesterol-lowering medications (statins, which Dear Hubby takes).

A normal CPK level for a man is in the range of 55–170 international units per liter (IU/L). Dear Hubby's was over 4,000 - yes, that's three zeroes - in the first test. The doctor called to see how Dear Hubby was feeling (fine) so she recommended that he discontinue one of the statins and go for another test a week later.

His CPK level in the second test is within normal (150 IU/L). While I'm relieved, I'm still annoyed that the doctor had the first set of test results within hours, but it took over three days for the second test. End of rant.

Thought of the day: Wrinkled Was Not One of the Things I Wanted to Be When I Grew Up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have his results back, we still haven't heard about SloMo's ct scan!!

Elle*Bee said...

awwww, that's too bad flip flop mamma, keep me posted (either on my blog or yours).

Lala's world said...

glad to hear that hubby's test were good!!

Jules said...

glad that all is well.. whew!

xoxo

Nikki said...

I'm so glad he's okay.

I don't know you, or him, but I was concerned.

Does that make me a stupid blog stalker?

Elle*Bee said...

lala & jules - thanks for the thoughts. And no, nikki, I don't think it makes you a blog stalker. I'm the same way, actually. Unless we're both blog stalkers, but that couldn't be... I've never been part of an 'in' crowd. ;-)