Monday, August 27, 2007

Time Flies....(NOT!)

I was surprised at how long it's been since I've blogged. It's not like I've been having a blast. Time flies when you're having fun, you know. It apparently sometimes flies when you're bored.

If I had to sum up what I've been doing with my days of "freedom" (since Son #3 started kindergarten), I'd have to say napping. And doing chores. And the occasional errand.

All's going well with the kids in school so far.

Today I went to the optometrist for a long overdue eye exam. It did not go well. The technician did my pre-screening and with my contacts lenses in. My vision with contacts was 20/25 in one eye and 20/40 in the other. I knew that I wasn't seeing as clearly out of one eye. I chalked it up to age.

The doctor came in (after I removed my contact lenses) and he had me look through the various lenses at the eye chart. He'd ask, "which is clearer? A?" then flip the lens "Or B?" The problem was, while one might be a teensy bit less fuzzy, none of them were clear.

In otherwords, he couldn't get my vision to 20/20 with the lens thing-y. He put this goop (lumescin, or something like that) on my eyes and looked at me through this fluorescent light scope. He asked whether my eyes are ever itchy or burning (they aren't).

He said my corneas were very rough, which he attributed to very dry eyes. News to me. Unless it's allergy season (when I'm congested and sneezy) or I'm in a smoky area (which is rare), I rarely use eyedrops at all.

He wants me to use Thera Tears 4 times a day for the next week, wear glasses only (ACK!) and go back next Tuesday morning. Hopefully there will be an improvement and we can continue with the exam. Other than roughness, my corneas looked fine (clear, not diseased or infected). I hope I'm not going to give up contacts permanently. I've been wearing soft contact lenses since they first came out nearly 30 years ago (since I was two - kidding!). I've never liked myself in glasses, so I'm hoping I won't have to give up the contacts permanently. We'll see...

Other than that, not much is new here. Tonight is Son #2's first baseball practice of the fall season, and tomorrow is Open House at his school. Perhaps I'll have more to say then.

7 comments:

Sue said...

Oh no! Elle, I have had soft contact lenses since "insert long ago year here too" and the thought of only wearing glasses is scary...
I hope it all gets cleared up quickly!

KAYLEE said...

OH NO!!!!!!!!!! and nice post i am getting better!

Elle*Bee said...

I hope so too, sue. It'll be interesting to hear what he has to say when I go back next Tuesday. Right now though I'm feeling a little Jan Brady-ish (again, showing my age).

kaylee, I'm glad you're feeling better.

Shionge said...

I'm having some eyesight problems too and hate to give up lenes totally too....hope it gets better for you Elle :)

Nadine said...

I'm sorry. Glasses no fun. I pray that all goes well.

Elle*Bee said...

Thanks, shionge and nadine. I hope it's a temporary thing. I guess I'll find out next week. There are certainly worse things in life than having to wear glasses so I'll try not to whine too much.

KAYLEE said...

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!