I haven't had much luck dieting on my own lately so I joined Weight Watchers (click here for link) in March. They have two plans: The Core Plan and The Flex Plan. On the Core Plan, you can eat as much as you want from a preapproved list of foods. Since I'm pretty sure chocolate is not a core food (at least not according to Weight Watchers), I decided to track "points" using the Flex Plan. Yes, I'm that anal-retentive that I can track every morsel I put in my mouth, plus it's point value. It's very telling....
What do I like about it?
- It makes me accountable for every bite I eat. Since I've never had an eating disorder (other than eating too much), this increased emphasis on food doesn't bother me.
- It does actually seem to be working for me.
- I'm actually enjoying the meetings more now than I did years ago when I tried Weight Watchers.
What don't I like about it?
- It doesn't seem to address the carb/protein issue that other diets do (Atkins is an extreme example. Sugar Busters, SouthBeach are other less-radical lower carb diets). I'm to an age where my body doesn't process carbs as well as it used to. While I do try to increase my protein intake for at least two meals, technically, I can eat all carbohydrates and still be not exceed my target "points." (I actually did well with the South Beach Diet a few years back but it involves a lot of planning and cooking. I'm not that into cooking.)
- My measly 19 points per day leave me feeling pretty hungry at night. Perhaps if I went to bed at a decent hour, this might not be an issue, but.... (On the Flex Plan, I also get 35 bonus points for the week to use as I want. I can spread them out over the week, or I can binge on a whole chocolate devil's food cake. Okay, so maybe not, but you get the point.)
So here is my progress so far (this is what I'll be posting on Wednesdays):
- week 1 (Wed. 3.9.07) ~~~~~~ Just getting started!
- week 2 (Wed. 3.14.07) ~~~~~ - 3.4 lbs
- week 3 (Wed. 3.21.07) ~~~~~ - 1.6 lbs
- week 4 (Wed. 3.28.07) ~~~~~ - 2.4 lbs
- week 5 (Wed. 4.4.07) ~~~~~ + 0.6
Total Weight Loss -6.8
I'm not happy about that 0.6 weight gain, but I can certainly understand it. I ate way too much boiled crawfish this past weekend. Although not high in points, when boiled right, they are very high in salt. My own bathroom scale - which does not calculates tenths of a pound - had initially indicated a weight gain of 2 pounds! I knew most, if not all of it, was water retention due to the excess salt. This morning my scale showed a loss of 1 pound since Monday so all today, only showing a gain of .6 of a pound is not so bad. Lesson learned: drink plenty of water with my crawfish. Diet coke just doesn't purge the salt as well.