Friday, July 13, 2007

Happy Friday the 13th!

Are you the superstitious type? While I'd like to thing I'm 'above' that, there's a reason I'm blogging now instead of sitting on an airplane. I'll admit to scheduling my trip (a long "girls weekend" with my mom in Washington, DC) for next week in order to avoid flying on [insert theme from Twilight Zone here] Friday the 13th.

I should point out that if airfare was substantially cheaper on the 13th, I would've jumped at it. Which goes to show you that:
  1. I am a little teensy bit superstitious (I have no problem driving my car on Friday the 13th, though), and
  2. I'm even cheaper than I am superstitious.

According to The Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, NC, "It's been estimated that [U.S] $800 or $900 million is lost in business on this day because people will not fly or do business they would normally do." So, apparently Friday the 13th is "unlucky" for someone.

So tell me, does Friday the 13th have any special meaning for you? Are you superstitious about today? Do you follow any other superstitions?

8 comments:

Paul Champagne said...

Friday the 13th seems to be lucky for us. We sold a larger than usual number of cars at the lot yesterday. 24 vs the usual 14 on a Friday.

Lala's world said...

no I am not superstitious....but there is the odd time when I say something I get the feeling that I need to knock on wood...go figure??!!

hope you have a great girls week!!

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

Hi

Thought I would congratulate you on your 18 lobs lost! That is fantastic. You are an inspiration!!

I am starting something new on Monday. RAK (random Act of Kindness) Please stop by and live a link if you can! I am having a givaway!!

Thanks!

Elle*Bee said...

Congratulations, paul! I've never had anything bad happen on the 13th. It's pretty much a regular day for me (regular isn't bad). Glad it was better than average for you.

lala, I do occasionally knock wood. It's almost automatic.

Jen. Thanks! It's been a while since I've heard from you. I do still read your blog. Altho' I may not comment regularly, know that I'm still there, okay? I've lost another pound. It's funny b/c I indulged in sugar free ice cream and sugar-laden Magic Shell, plus a spot of brandy. Go figure. I'll look for your RAK - I love those! So many people feel like they can't possibly make a difference in the world, but all it takes is one RAK.

KAYLEE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KAYLEE said...

elle bee: Here it is! on my surgery!Thanks.http://kayleesmylife.blogspot.com/2007/06/doctors

KAYLEE said...

this one too.Put em on my post too on my blog for you hopw that helps!http://kayleesmylife.blogspot.com/2007/07/another-surgery.html

KAYLEE said...

LET ME KNOW IF THEY DID:P GREAT POST BY THE WAY!