Friday, February 09, 2007

Here are some more photos of our trip to Global Wildlife yesterday. Below is the baby llama with his mother. Aren't they the cutest?



Below is Son #3 feeding a llama. They eat right out of your hand, as do the camels.


Below are the zebras. We were instructed to toss the food on the ground for them because, although they've never bitten a visitor, they do get very aggressive with each other.


There are two different types of camels at this place. One is a male bactrian camel, which has thick wooly fur. Apparently when male bactrian camels are, um, looking for love, they urinate on their tails. It seems to drive the bactrian babes wild. But this human babe couldn't tolerate the smell to get close enough for a decent picture.

Instead, this is a female dromedary camel (not sure if I'm spelling that correctly). While no bed of roses, she smells much better than her bactrian roommate.


Finally, here's a shot of Son #3 and me.

8 comments:

Lala's world said...

ahhh love the pic of you and your son!!!
when I was in Kenya I rode a camal! it was really fun with the exception of my friend who was sitting behind me holding on for dear life and screaming in my ear almost the entire time!!!

Elle*Bee said...

Wow! You did that?! I've never been overseas so I guess this is as close as I'll get to riding a camel.

Anonymous said...

Great pic of you & your son! That looks like SUCH a neat place.

Nicole said...

Oh you look so cute on those sun glasses! What a hottie! :)

Nadine said...

Great picture of you and your son. I'm very grateful I'm not a female bactrian camel.

Cool Lala - getting to ride a camel. That must have been an adventure.

Elle*Bee said...

It's very neat indeed, anna, and welcome back to Blogland! :-)

Thank you, nicole. I've gained more weight than I care to admit in the past year or so. I really don't like the way I look in pictures these days. The old saying that the camera add 10 lbs can't be right. With inflation these days, it's more like 30. ;-) When I look in the mirror, I don't feel like I've gained that much, but the photographic evidence is quite the slap in the face. sigh... but I'm working on it.

Yes, nadine, the bactrian camel smelled *that* bad.

The guide was telling us that when Hurricane Katrina passed through our area (this place had wind damage, but no flooding), all of the animals when out to the middle of the open field - as if they instinctively knew to stay away from the trees (risk of lightning stike or being uprooted by wind).

Anonymous said...

Ok, I do not think Llama's are cute!! I do think the camel is cute though!! And I love the pic of you and your son!! You're sooo pretty!!!

That Chick Over There said...

Llamas are one of those things that scare me for absolutely no reason. Well, they remind me of camels and once a camel sneezed on me. So maybe that's it.

But you and your son are very cute! :)