Thursday, September 11, 2008

Returning Home

By Wednesday, many businesses in our area had power restored and although our neighborhood did not, Dear Hubby thought we should head home on Thursday morning. He was confident that we'd have electricity by the time we arrived home Thursday evening. I went under protest.

Personally, I would've preferred to wait until I was sure electricity was back on. "I'm not goin' until the A/C is blowin'" was my mantra. Let's face it. If the electricity wasn't back on, he could go to his air conditioned office with a working refrigerator, while I would be stuck at home with three smelling boys and two sweaty dogs. I won't even go into the hormonal changes often experienced by the plus 40 yr old woman. Oh, and did I mention 90+ degree temperatures.

Nevertheless, I put on my best "supportive" face and attempted to make the best of it. Just for the record, next time a hurricane passes by, I think I'll move here:


They seem to have the right idea. A house on a mountain. Sure they might be stuck during the winter, but hey, I'm 43 and am my own self-contained portable space heater. Global warming? Yeah, that's me.

This is a huge cross outside a church in Tennessee. It somehow seemed comforting to see it looming over the mountainside.

Alabama was experiencing unpleasant weather due to Hurricane Gustav. Tell me again why we left Tennessee.


Mississippi is looking better. Check out the sunset. We stopped at a Walmart in Hattiesburg, MS to load up on essentials because we weren't sure how the groceries in Louisiana would be. Electricity was still hit-or-miss there.

While in the Walmart parking lot in Hattiesburg, my neighbor called at 6:45 p.m. to let us know that power was restored to our street, saving my marriage (kidding). We were two hours from home so the air conditioning would have time to cool things down a bit for our arrival.

Other than missing a single shingle, below is our only real damage. This is the same fence that was blown over in the other direction following Hurricane Katrina. The entire length should be replaced - primarily because my neighbor's yard retains water and the posts are rotting. Our yard is properly graded so we have no standing water. Nevertheless, I cannot afford to have the fence replaced, but I was able to get someone out to re-set a few posts and nail up the existing panels. It'll have to do for now. The dogs (on both sides of the fence) are happier now.


6 comments:

Lorie said...

Glad you are back home safe and sound!Loved todays pictures!
Be blessed!
Lorie

palmtreefanatic said...

lovely photos!
Glad you are home safe and sound...

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

I am glad that you only had minimal damage. Sounds like the eva*cation was fun!

Hope you can stay at your home now and no more hurricanes!!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Whew! Glad that's the extent of damage ! How's your neighborhood?

Sue said...

Beautiful sunset! And a happy ending to your evacu-cation story (just the minor fence damage)...I would have felt the same way about the air-conditioning (or lack thereof) as well, too!

Lisa R said...

Thanks, all! It's good to be home. We were very, very blessed indeed.

To answer your question, tracey, my neighborhood fared well this time. Several houses lost many shingles from their roofs, but as far as I've seen so far, only one house had greater damage. The elderly couple who live across the street from my father-in-law had a tree land on their carport cover, ripping it from the house.

They lost some siding and the very edge of their roof was sheared off, but it's not a gaping hole. They moved here after losing their house to H. Katrina 3 years ago.

There was a tornado about 3 miles away, but it mostly battered trees (it was a wooded lot).