Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Decisions, Decisions...

Dear Hubby is in Tampa, FL on business for the second time in three weeks. Each time, he's stayed Mon. thru Thurs. They offered him a promotion last week, which I expected they would. Professionally, it's good opportunity. Dear Hubby's department is highly specialized so there's not a lot of movement, so opportunities like this one do not come along often.

Still, we made a lot of sacrifices (for all the right reasons, in my opinion) when we decided to return to Louisiana in 1999. Are those reasons still valid today in 2007? That's the big question. The real estate market is more favorable in Florida right now (in terms of what a buyer can expect), and there's no state income tax. However, we'd be moving 10+ hours away from the very family that we moved to be nearer to in 1999.

Son #1, my ADHD, seizure prone, speech impaired, highly eccentric child is thriving here in La. right now. Doing well in school, well in Boy Scouts. Do I really want to rock the boat? But he's also highly-adaptive, so perhaps this would be a non-issue.

It's nice to have someone other than Mom and Dad cheer Son #2 on at the baseball park. It's nice for Son #3 (age 5) to have a 'date night' with his Aunt Mimi when he needs a change of scenery. I really didn't want to give all that up, although I want to be supportive of Dear Hubby's goals. Ultimately, he decided that there are things he wants to accomplish in his personal life that that he wouldn't be able to do if he accepted the promotion.

Keep us in our thoughts and prayers. Specifically that Dear Hubby can look forward (for every door closed, another one opens).

4 comments:

Tracey said...

Thinking of you guys. I am of the opinion that family outweighs any career goal. The kids are only kids for a short time, and their childhood will be richer for having had their family nearby, more than having a Dad with a GREAT career. Hope your hubby is ok with the decision and that, as you said, another great opportunity comes up closer to La.

Sue said...

Those kinds of decisions are never easy. And as you said, God never closes a door without opening a window. Hopefully something will come up soon for your hubby (I can relate, being in insurance and a specialized area myself)!

Elle*Bee said...

Tracey, that's pretty much how we feel. The money would be a plus, but it would mean moving the kids away from family and friends. Sure, they'd probably adapt, but why mess with a pretty good thing we have here. Dear Hubby seems okay with the decision. I just hope the big wigs at his company are okay with it. I'm not sure they're used to being told 'no.' oh well....

Sue, we're hoping for a window. Or even a little peephole. LOL. Just something to let us know definitively that we made the right decision. Of course, life rarely works that way. Did I mention that Dear Hubby is in insurance?

Nadine said...

I pray you will be able to find the right answers you are seeking for your family.