Monday, December 05, 2005

Back from Vacation...

I just returned yesterday afternoon from visiting my mom in Washington, DC (northern VA, technically). I had been there since late Tuesday night. I try to visit her twice a year, usually in March and September. My most recent trip, scheduled for Aug. 29 - Sept. 5, was postponed due to Hurricane Katrina.

My flight to DC was at night. It was surreal to see the city of New Orleans. There were still big patches of darkness. In other areas you could see street lights lining the highways but you didn't see any moving lights (cars). The flight back, during the day, was equally weird. You really get a sense of the destruction when you see an aerial view of all the blue tarps on the rooftops.

The visit itself was nice. We do what we usually do: dine out and shop - a lot! Even though I'm an adult - or so I've been told - we do slip back into mother/daughter mode. Case in point: the woman likes to pay for everything. I feel a little funny about people spending a lot of money on my account, but there really isn't any arguing with her. (And I do end up with a lot of cool stuff that I'd otherwise pass over because I'm too stingy with my money.)

I also managed to squeeze in a lunch with some friends (former coworkers). It's nice that they make time to see me when I visit twice a year.

Mom has cable TV, which I don't at home, so I'd stay up way too late watching things like "Forensic Files". The earliest I went to sleep on my trip was 2:15 a.m., 3:30 a.m. was typical. We'd usually get up around 8:00 a.m. I never seem to have that kind of energy at home...I wonder why? My theory: kids just suck the life right out of you! I'm kidding.

It was a nice trip, but it's good to be home. I missed the boys terribly (incl. Dear Hubby). As a nice surprise, they had the entire house cleaned before I returned. Laundry done, beds made, dishes cleaned, floors vacuumed and mopped and (insert drum roll here) the bathroom cleaned! Maybe I ought to go away more often. ;-)

No comments: